Benefits Of On-Site Machining (OSM)
OSM provides the following benefits:
- Overcomes the impracticalities of removal of large items of plant from site, or where it would be otherwise inappropriate to remove plant or equipment from site.
- Overcomes the impracticalities of transporting plant or machinery to a workshop.
- Overcomes the problems of sourcing appropriate workshops with capacity to accommodate large items of plant.
- Reduces the downtime required for shutdown and maintenance as repairs or modifications can be carried out on site.
- Reduces costs.
- Minimizes interference with production.
- Provides skilled technicians who have an intimate knowledge of the requirements and needs of the customer and are able to provide the best or most appropriate cost effective solutions to problems.
- Reduces the requirements for manpower and mechanical handling.
Where Can On-Site Machining Be Used
Furmanite’s on-site machining service is geared to provide industry with fast, economical solutions to in-situ maintenance. From the smallest plant maintenance project to large-scale new build turnkey packages, Furmanite can help. Furmanite’s specialized equipment has the capacity to machine circular structures up to 30m in diameter, as well as turbine half joints and bedplates up to 12m square using laser controlled milling machines.
Furmanite’s standard and special application machines tools, designed and manufactured in-house to appropriate national and international standards, are ready to handle a wide range of challenges.
On-Site Machining can be used in virtually any environment and in the majority of situations at sites around the world, with safety of technicians and machines not being compromised. Any material may be machined, including exotics such as Nimonic steel.
On-Site Machining (OSM)
On-site Field Machining Services – Where You Need It, When You Need It…
In order for your plant to perform at optimum levels all the time, ongoing repairs are a part of doing business. But making these improvements or adjustments shouldn’t have to compromise operational efficiencies.
By utilizing the full range of Furmanite’s On-Site Field Machining (OSM) services, you receive work and results that exceed any standard of quality – ensuring plant productivity and longevity. But you’re also able to realize tremendous savings in transportation, logistics, labor, time, and – of course – money. Repairs and modifications made right at your plant, right when you need them and right the first time.
Furmanite introduced its On-Site Machining (OSM) service in 1979, which has since developed into a comprehensive site machining package complementing the full range of other Furmanite specialized services. Comprehensive ranges of machine tools have been developed and manufactured in-house that are able to meet the most demanding requirements found on clients’ sites. These are marketed under the Silk TM brand.
Furmanite technicians are fully trained, competent and have a high regard for both safety and the requirements of the customer while working on their sites.
The Furmanite OSM service can consistently bring the benefits of a fully equipped machine workshop to a customer’s site. Tolerances and finishes, usually only achievable in a machine shop, can be reliably reproduced in unfavorable field environments by the use of the Furmanite range of portable machine tools.
Furmanite equipment has the capacity to mill, bore, trepan, drill or carry out any other machining activity normally associated with a workshop. Furmanite’s machines are either pneumatically or hydraulically powered for use in plant environments where intrinsically safe operations are mandatory. All machines are fully adaptable to the task concerned.